Thursday, August 28, 2008

Challenge Course

So, we took the kids that I work with to the ISU Challenge Course/Swing today. It was freaking awesome!!!!! Sorry, that I only have mostly pictures of myself on here, but I cannot post pictures of the kids due to confidentiality. They were so amazing and all pushed themselves, almost eveyone of them made it to the top of the course and as you can tell, it is pretty high and the wind was blowing and so was the whole wall. I was the belayer and it was a tough job, I think that I will be sore tomorrow. After everyone went on the challenge course a few times, we went on a swing. We got strapped in and the kids all pulled each other as high as they felt they could go, again almost everyone (including myself! YAY!) went as high as possible. Then we let go of a cord and flew--it was SO much fun!!! I loved it and days like this remind me of why I love my job. The kids did not fight or argue at all and they all encouraged each other and rooted each other on the whole time.....it was an awesome group building and trust building experience. They had so much fun to and kept talking about how they can actually have fun without drugs and alcohol. It is so awesome to see these kids in this type of envionrment. I love working with the residential kids because we get to see their true personalities and learn so much about them and love them for all that they have went through in their lives. These kids are amazing and so much fun, i don't care what anyone else thinks......love them. Thanks Matt for organizing this...we will definitely do it again!!!Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Heidi said...

I think you are amazing Jen! What a cool thing you are doing for those kids! Your job sounds like it is hard at times and you do such a good job!

p.s. Love your shirt! =)

Tim and Steph Ulrich said...

That looks like so much fun! I'm jealous!!

Boudrero said...

You are absolutely amazing!! That looks so cool and crazy. I love that about you that you aren't afraid of anything. I also admire what you do with those kids. Oh no...I am getting emotional. I did get a little teary eyed reading your post. I just love ya....

IRISH BERNT'S said...

JEN, THAT DOES LOOK FUN! I WENT ZIPLINING IN THE RAINFOREST OF BELIZE AND IT REMINDS ME ALOT OF THAT. YOUR FAMILY IS ADORABLE. AND, THE PIX AT THE TOP OF YOUR BLOG, LOOKS JUST LIKE A LITTLE JEN. WELL,, TAKE CARE AND WE SHOULD GET TOGETHER SOMETIME.
~TONYA MENDENHALL BERNT

Megh said...

Jen, that looks like so much fun! What a cool experience! I love reading your blog, it is so good to hear about what your sweet family is up to! Tell Brian and the kiddos hello! We love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Fun pictures! It reminds me of when the YW/YM went to Badger Creek. They have all those kinds of obstacle courses for the kids to try. It really does make you have to trust and love each other.I was really out of my comfort zone doing that stuff, but how can you not when everybody wants you to do it with them. I love you and what you do for those kids. Love mom